Monday, April 09, 2007

One Week to Go!

April vacation is right on the horizon. I have only to make it through this week, and then I have twn blissful days of sleeping in, reading, spring cleaning and more. I enjoy my job and I love my students, but it will be really nice to have a break from them. I did have a mini-break from them this weekend, as it snowed almost a foot and a half on Wednesday and Thursday! There was no way I was going to make it to work on Thursday (despite my district NOT calling off school), so I didn't go. Of course, that meant I had to snowblow the driveway, which was less than fun. I pulled several muscles and swore more than I have in years, but I cleared enough of the driveway for Bear to drive in. I have photos, I will post some tomorrow.

Friday Bear, Snake, Blondie and I all went to the New Hampshire Reptile Expo. We piled into a van and drove down Friday afternoon, then chilled at the hotel. The next morning we arrived at the expo. I've been to Maine's reptile show, but this one was MUCH cooler. There were a lot of animals at this one that there weren't in Maine, mostly due to Maine's restrictive species list (there are a lot of animals you can't have in Maine). I got to see tarantulas, geckos, chameleons, salamanders, tegus, tree frogs, crabs, over a thousand snakes of different types and colors, and even an alligator! It was only a month old, and the vendor let me hold it. The alligator was definitely a high point. Bear and I went there sort of half-looking for a new crested gecko, but of all the ones we saw, we didn't find one we liked the looks of. Crested geckos, if you aren't aware, are terribly cute things. See for yourself here.

The trip had no major mishaps aside from Snake's snoring (he was so loud that sleep wasn't a possibility). Blodie made a couple of off-hand remarks that kind of "yanked my chain" as the expression goes, but I tried to shrug it off. More than anything her whining, baby-like behavior gets on my nerves. I don't know how Snake does it. I just kept reminding myself that she isn't my girlfriend, and that I can put up with her for one weekend if I have to. (Just one quick rant: she FREAKED out Friday night at the idea of walking around the expo by herself - crying, carrying on, everything - but within twenty minutes of actually being at the Expo, she was wandering all over the place by herself with no problems at all.) She is going to college in Connecticut this fall, and while I'm sure we will all miss her, it will be nice to have just "grown-ups" around for a while.

Wedding invitations are being created and mailed out next week during vacation. We are buying the materials this weekend - wish me luck! I'll let you know how it works out.

~Amalia~

No comments: