Monday, June 13, 2011

Ch-Ch-Change ...

Big changes are potentially afoot here at CFB Central. I have no idea what this change will look like, but the goal is to make some major changes to our lives in order to gain ground on our dreams.

The elementary school that I work at is closing after this school year. Many, many cuts have been made (and continue to be made). While I am reasonably "safe," this could change at any moment. In fact, last week I was laid off and then un-laid off less than 24 hours later.

The time has come. I need to move on.

Due to our state's tough economic situation, changes are being made to Maine State Retirement, which all Maine Teachers pay into. In order to escape those changes, many teachers are retiring *now.* There are more high school English Teacher positions open now than there have been in the last three years combined. It's a good time to be looking for an English job.

Problem: most of these jobs require a move from where we are now.
Problem: Bear cannot move right now, as he needs to have major surgery next year and gets short term disability where he is now. It's a secure job, and one he should keep.

So what does that mean? It means if I can find a decent teaching job, I'm going to be moving.

By myself.

While our relationship is strong and we will continue to be together, the truth of the matter is that if we ever want to move out of Brownville and to the coast, I'm going to have to get a job down there and work. I hope to find a position, an efficiency apartment or cheap house to rent, and live down there during the week. I will come home on weekends and vacations. It's not ideal (or even easy), but we think it is what's best for us. I will be making 10-15k more a year teaching and not commuting than I will ed teching at a district that is 41 miles away. Gas alone is more than $300 a month. I imagine that I'm a desirable tenant to most landlords - professional woman with no kids or pets who works at the local school sounds pretty good. If I'm incredibly lucky I will find someone who owns a house but doesn't want it to sit empty and will let me live there and just pay utilities. Sounds impossible, but it DOES happen.

So now it's a matter of finding the right job. I had one interview already and another is scheduled for Wednesday. The first job is about 50/50 on the pro/con list. I'm hoping for better results from the next interview. Either of the two applications I sent out today would be fantastic places to live.

Problem: What if a so-so district makes an offer before I hear from one of my first choices? GAH. This is so much harder to decide on than I thought. What I really need is for a clear path to be laid out in front of me. That's not too much to ask, is it?

I will keep you all up-to-date on what's happening. Cross your fingers for me, won't you?