Thursday, January 11, 2007

On the Pot


I think I do my best thinking when I'm in the bathroom. Becomming lactose intolerant as an adult has meant that I spend a lot of time in there. If I don't bring something to read (hard to do subtley when surrounded by staff and students), I just think. Today I was thinking about save-the-dates. You know, the little card you get months before the invitation that tells you to keep a certain date free? Originally I didn't think I'd need them. For one, I think they're pretentious (everyone I'm inviting already knows when the date is, for pity's sake!), and for another, I'm limited in funds (read: broke). But the more I think about it, the more a save-the-date notice looks appealing. I am getting married the weekend before the fourth of July, at least ten people are going to be flying in from out of state, and it's a busy time of year for a lot of people. I was thinking (while on the toilet) that if I just bought some cardstock and printed like 4 postcards per sheet I could make some pretty cheap notices. Are there any software programs I could use for neat logos and print options? I don't know if MSWord would do a good enough job. On one side I could have the family's address, and on the other the save the date info as well as a list of hotels in the area (maybe with phone numbers). If it was okay with mom, I could also put my phone number and hers on their in case people have housing questions. See, usually anyone that visits stays with my mom or my grandmother, but if everyone who does that is in the same place at the same time, we will run out of beds. I think Bear and I will be staying in our tent just to make room for people. No word yet on whether or not our wedding night will be spent in the tent, too. God, I hope not!

I guess I'm going to put the idea out to my wonderful readers - what do you think? Should I do the save-the-dates or not? What do you think when you get one in the mail? Are you pleased or mildly irritated (or worse)? Help!

~Amalia~

1 comment:

Sue Flaska said...

Hmmm....save the date huh? I had never even heard of that until it was on The Office for Pam's wedding. I think because people are no longer sending invites so far in advance, save the dates came into play. So I guess it would depend on how early you are sending invites. Glad you liked JT! Word verif today "uygzurk" I don't know, sounds like a mean name you would call someone.