Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I Guess I'm It

Several days ago I was tagged by Shari. The tag meant I had to write a top ten list that described my style. It has taken me quite a while to get to this list, but here it is:

1. Casual. I've never been a fan of frou-frou clothing. With me, comfort is everything. As a teacher I am held to a certain standard of dress, but I make it as relaxed as I can within the confines of my contract. For example, today I am wearing my sneakers, plain khaki pants with the cuffs turned up once (they are talls, and are just long enough with heels), a pink v-neck shirt and a grey zippered hoodie I got for Christmas. The hoodie is because I live in Maine and it is always cold in my school building in the winter. I don't bare my arms or legs for months.

2. Straightforward. This one I can blame on my father. He has always said the true-but-unpopular thoughts that no one would say. When asked if he wants a funeral after his death, his reply was, "Hell no! I can't stand any of those assholes while I'm alive, I won't stand any of those assholes when I die!" While I try to be a little more tactful than that, I am nearly as plain spoken as he is. If someone asks me my opinion, I give it to them. If I see something wrong or ignorant or mean, I speak up. I am upfront and honest about myself and what makes me laugh (people falling down is hilarious to me). People can be offended by my words, and that's okay, too. My conscience is clear.

3. Inquisitive. I am a lifelong learner. I believe in learning as much as you can about anything. I love the Discovery and Learning Channels, because they are full of useful bits of information. For example, did you know that snakes have two penises? That blonde hair and blue eyes are recessive genes? I do. I still have a lot to learn - I'm three grad classes away from my master's degree in Secondary Literacy Education. I also wonder about the bigger questions in life: Do animals that hibernate still urinate and defecate on a normal basis? If so, do they wake up to go? Do they just go right where they are? Wouldn't that get messy? If they don't pee every day, won't bacteria grow and give them bladder infections? If they do wake up, is it really hibernation?

4. Funny. I'm funny, damnit! I couldn't do stand up or have my own t.v. show, but sometimes I come up with very funny comebacks and one-liners. I can think up a sexual innuendo for almost anything, and I have a terrific sense of what is funny. I laugh a lot, and I like to think I cause others to laugh, too. Hopefully not at me.

5. Stubborn. This comes to my from my grandmother. She is the most stubborn person I know. She is 91 and still lives on her own. She still likes to garden when she can and even though she can barely walk, still makes sure that her home is shipshape. When I was small, my favorite words were, "I can do it myself," even when I couldn't. I still say these words because they're still true. I can do it myself, I will do it myself, and I don't need anyone's help. Even when I do.

6. Devoted. When I find something I love, be it a man, an author, a t.v. show, or a hobby, I go after it full force. I stick with that thing (sometimes too long) because I believe that's what you do. If it's a man, I care for him even when it keeps me from doing some of the things I love. I believe wholeheartedly in him and will encourage and support him with everything I am. If, later, it turns out that my devotion was misplaced... well, at least I never feel like I didn't give it my all. If it's a t.v. show or an author, I learn all of the important background, watch every episode or read every book, and wait (years, sometimes) for the next one to come out. Did you hear they are making a Dark Crystal 2? If it's a hobby, I learn all I can about it, do everything related to it at least once, and try to excell at whatever it is. I use the hobby to make gifts for other to prove the value and beauty of this new hobby, too.

7. Happy. Even though I love to complain and can be quite cynnical and sarcastic at times, my persona is generally happy. I believe life is worth living and that beauty, if you look for it, is everywhere. I enjoy life and all it has to offer. I like to think that other people do, too.

8. Simple. This relates to casual and straightforward in a way, but I think simple is more than just clothing or speech - it's a philosophy. I love simplicity in all areas of life. Relationships, decorating, clothes, stereo instructions... To me, simple = good. I don't play games or unnecessarily complicate matters; you could say I'm low maintenence in that regard. I like simple things like honesty, nature, sunshine, peace. The simple things are what I am about.

9. Creative. I adore making things and thinking of things. I like to find a unique solution to a problem, to see something in a way no one else has. I knit, I sew, I even color on occasion. I try to be as much of an original as I can; I don't like to do something just because that is the way it's always been done.

10. Selfish. It's okay, I can admit it. I have to be the center of attention all the time. I hate it when someone or something detracts from people paying attention to me. This is why I'm never having children; I don't want to resent them for getting attention I feel should be directed on me. As a teacher, the focus of fifteen pairs of eyes is me; I'm the one they go to with questions, comments, etc. I love being thought of as someone who has the answers, someone who you can go to when you need help or just conversation. I want to be the one that's picked, the one that gets the accolades. Maybe it's because I'm the youngest of six, but to me attention means that I'm special. That I'M the one that deserves to be recognized.

If I were to go beyond ten things, I'd add words like competitive, unforgiving, determined, deep, and maybe fair, too. What's your style? I want to know!

~Amalia~

No comments: