Friday, September 26, 2008

Grammie Ruth's Apple Pie

Here you go, Alice, as a reward for running! And because I told you I would.

Grammie Ruth's Apple Pie

Filling:
6-8 apples (macs and cortlands work best), peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. flour
1 &1/2 tsp. lemon juice
sprinkle brown sugar
1 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg

Mix well and put in crust. cover with second crust. Cut slits into top crust for venting. Bake 1 hour in a 400 degree oven. If crust browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil.

Crust:
2 & 1/4 cups flour
1 cup Crisco shortening
1 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
cold water

Beat egg and place in a 1/2 cup. fill almost to the top with cold water. Blend into the flour/crisco mix until all is just mixed. Pull out onto floured surface and knead until almost smooth. Roll flat with rolling pin. Makes top and bottom crust.

My gram is famous for using very few directions... it took me a while to figure out how to cut each crust out. enjoy the challenge!

~Amalia~

Email me if you need help! boutrosbabe@hotmail.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally making this, this week. We are going apple picking on Wednesday. Can't wait. I love apple pie.

I moved to a new spot, deleted life of triggers. Long, not nice story. Please visit me at my new "home." I would miss you!

Alice said...

OMG!!! Thank you so much. I can't wait to make this. I hope to go apple picking in a couple of weeks down here (it's still pretty hot) - but this sounds delicious! I may have to email you on this. I'm a complete novice in the kitchen.