Thursday, January 24, 2008

My cup runneth over

Do you ever wonder if you have too much on your plate? Too many balls in the air? Too many things that you must commit time and energy to? Lately I've been wondering if this description fits me.
First of all, I am starting my third job next week. I am teaching an adult ed class on Mondays from 3-6pm. It's a writing class, and I'm really excited about it. For the first time in a long time I will be able to teach what I want, how I want, and no one is mandating that I do things their way instead. I really feel that I need this class to rejuvenate my love of teaching. No Child Left Behind and school politics are really killing my joy. Of course, taking this job (which pays $1,000 upon completion of the course) means I can't work on Mondays at Rite Aid any more. I'm still going to get twenty hours a week there, though, so I will be home even less often than I am now. The only unscheduled night I had this week was Wednesday, and I had to go to Bangor for groceries so I didn't get home until after nine pm. My day job (teaching) isn't all that strenuous, but it takes up a lot of hours and is very far from home.

Second, I am still working on my New Year's resolution - to bike twenty minutes on my stationary bike every day in 2008. If I don't get home until after nine, well, I still have to do it. I am not sorry I decided to do this, but after a long day I don't approach it with the enthusiasm I might otherwise. In addition to my resolution (or perhaps the cause of it), I'm trying to lose weight. almost thirty pounds, actually. This is taking a gigantic effort on my part, and is waaaaay more work than I'd anticipated. Again, I'm not sorry I decided to do this, but it's another thing on my "plate" (no pun intended).

Finally, Bear and I would like to continue our forays into the home-improvement area. We have many things we still need to do before we can insure the house or even have company. It will take a lot of planning and work to get this done, and honestly, I'm not sure where I'll find the time.

As I proofread this post, I'm struck by how whiney I sound. I apologize for that; it wasn't my intent. I guess I just wonder, if I keep adding things to my life, what will have to go? My husband will tell you that I haven't been much fun lately. He's probably tight, I haven't. but how can I be when my mind is so full of everything that has to get done?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I guess you have a full plate. Maybe you should cut the hours at Rite Aid until the class is done? Or you and Bear need to make a "date night". One night that is just for you and him. Even if it's just a couple of hours. Don't spread yourself thin..... Where do I fit in the schedule? Just kidding. I will worm my way in somewhere... You rock...

Love Ya Lots!

kimmy said...

You have a right to be whiney - it is winter in Maine. I can't wait to be able to walk/exercise outside without having to bundle up!

Kimmy

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a former teacher, I think all teachers in the NCLB era have a right to whine!