Tomorrow is the first official day of school. I'm not ready. My classroom is still a mess, I have mounds of paperwork to file in the appropriate places, I have photocopying to do, posters to put up, etc. etc. etc. Do I care? Not as much as I thought I would. I guess I'm learning not to "sweat the small stuff" and just get things done as they can be. I am lucky in that tomorrow is only freshmen, and I only have six of them so most of my day is free. I'm looking forward to the year in many ways, although grading is going to be a nightmare. The state government insists on telling teachers what and how to teach as well as how to assess student work. They (the State) have no idea what they are talking about. *sigh* Not much you can do, really. I make it standard practice to teach what I want and then fudge the reports to the state if I have to.
Don't tell on me!
In other news, today is Bear's birthday. He's twenty-four today. Money being as tight as it is, I wasn't able to get him much. I feel horribly guilty about that. I am going to make it up to him in a month or so once my raise takes effect. We're going out to dinner with his sister tonight so at least he'll get a nice meal. I was going to make him a cake but he got one at work today so I didn't. I'll make it this weekend instead.
Bear doesn't think his birthday is a big deal. He doesn't understand why I make such a big deal out of the day. If you know me at all, you know that I insist on making my birthday a big deal. Does anyone else? Or am I the only grownup that thinks birthdays are still a big deal? Are there more Bears out there than Amalias? What a sad thought. Birthdays are the one day you should be guaranteed to feel special. In honor of Bear's birthday, here is a list of twenty-four things that are special about him:
- He has one perfectly formed dimple. Just one.
- He lets me sleep in on the weekends.
- He drives on all the long car trips (letting me sleep).
- He is incredibly hard-working.
- He has a poet's soul.
- He keeps me on my toes.
- He can find the humor in almost any situation.
- He never belittles me.
- He is the most comfortable thing to lay on while watching t.v.
- He Laughs at my attempts to be funny.
- He writes me awesome stories.
- He makes me sturdy bookcases for my plethora of books.
- He loves my cat.
- He showed me how much fun camping can be.
- He's an excellent back scratcher.
- He enjoys a good book.
- He treats me to special things when I need them.
- He insists I treat myself occasionally, too.
- He lets me have most of the water in the shower.
- He tries every day to make me happy.
- He takes me to new and exciting places.
- He makes me feel beautiful.
- He can always be counted on for a rescue (from in-laws and from moose).
- He pushes himself to be a better person, and he pushes me to be one, too.