Friday, August 10, 2007

Ask and ye shall receive

I know that I was a bit whiny in my last post, and for that I apologize. But things have a way of working themselves out. I was cruising through my favorite blogs and again came across Jenny Rough. She is a lawyer turned freelance writer. I've noticed that I enjoy reading more than one freelance writer's blog (I like Lindsay Ferrier's, too) and it got me thinking.

I'm an English teacher - could I try freelance writing? Is it possible that people would pay me to write things? Hmmm. I did some research and while it doesn't look easy, it does look possible. So, I'm going to try it. First I need to get something, anything, accepted so I can start building a body of work. There's a webiste that you can post anything and you get paid if enough people vote on it. That's the first place I tried. You can view the story I wrote here. If you like it, please vote for it... if not, I'm all ears for suggestions!

At this point I am looking for direction. What is the first step in the freelance writing process? What are some reputable places to send unsolicited work? Until I get some of that published, I'm not going to get any solicitations (hehe) at all.

At least I'm not bored!

~Amalia~

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Go for it...for sure. What a perfect compliment to a teaching career. I keep thinking I'd like to try my hand at teaching one day.