Tuesday, September 05, 2006

How Sweet is He?

Bear and I have been talking about weight lately, for a lot of reasons. As of yesterday morning, my weight loss officially entered double digits (ten pounds!!). Later that day at Borders, Bear was walking through the isles looking for books when he turned to me and said, "I feel HUGE. I've GOT to do something." While I'm losing, he's gained a little - he's about twenty pounds heavier than when we met. I'm about thirteen pounds heavier. We live forty miles from the nearest gym, so joining the Y really isn't an option (not to mention we're broke). Winter's coming soon, too, so outdoor activities are about to become limited. So, after careful consideration, we've decided to purchase an exercise bike, probably recumbant. It is expensive, but it's the only cardio machine Bear can do thanks to a poorly healed break in his ankle, and it will complement my Yoga DVD nicely. I used to have huge thighs from bike riding all summer - it'd be kind of nice to see some of that back. And really, the wedding is less than 300 days away and I'm still thirty pounds away from my target.

Some weight loss facts for you:
  • Five pounds of fat is the size of three grapefruits.
  • Five pounds of muscle is the size of two tangerines.
  • One pound of fat consists of 3,500 calories.
  • Divided by seven, that means to lose one pound a week you need to cut 500 calories out of your diet each day.
  • Twenty ounces of Pepsi has 250 calories.
  • An extra 100 calories a day will make the average woman gain ten pounds a year.
  • Normal BMI (Body Mass Index is 18.5 to 24.9. Mine is 26.7
  • A pound of fat burns two calories an hour. A pound of muscle burns thirty-five.
At lunch today, I texted Bear, "I cannot WAIT to marry you."
He texted back, "I can't wait either - I want at least 50 years with you."

At least now I feel like we're going to have a shot at that. :)

~Amalia~

No comments: