Thursday, September 07, 2006

Guilt and Shame

Yesterday, as I was driving to work, I saw a dog trotting down the side of the road. "You better go home to your family, Dog, " I thought. "Some little girl is missing you terribly." His tongue was hanging out of his head as though he was thirsty, but he had a collar on so he obviously belonged to someone. But I was in a hurry, there weren't any houses nearby, so I just kept driving.
This morning, driving the same road, I saw the dog again - dead. It was obviously hit by a car about two miles from where I saw him the previous morning. I feel so bad. What would it have cost me to stop, give the dog a drink of water, and look at his tag for a number to call? I could have saved that poor dog (and his owner) needless pain and suffering. I feel terrible. I should have stopped. Now it's too late - the poor thing is decomposing on the side of the road. I wonder if he saw the vehicle coming. I wonder if the driver stopped. I wonder if a little girl will be driving on the road, looking for her lost dog, and see him on the side of the road, dead. What an image for a child to carry around forever.
I'm a terrible person.

No comments: