Monday, September 11, 2006

Another Awesome Weekend

And can they be anything else when my big, loveable Bear is involved? I think not. It seems every weekend we have another wonderful adventure. This weekend we visited my parents and went with them to our first experience at a Ducks Unlimited Banquet. If you are unfamiliar with Ducks Unlimited, visit their website: http://www.ducksunlimited.com/ The banquets are a chance for the organization to raise money and for its members to win cool stuff. They have rifles, shotguns, decoys, knives and bird calls (if your into that stuff) as well as home furnishings, art pieces, gift certificates, decorations and children's toys (if you're into that stuff). There are two auctions - a regular one and a silent one. I won a beautiful picnic basket on the silent auction. I paid way too much for it, but damn it it's mine! I didn't bid at the regular auction, because stuff was too expensive. They had a ton of different raffles. I won a gift certificate at Inkblot Printing for $25 worth of stuff (maybe I'll buy thank you cards for the wedding?). My parents, aunt and uncle and my dad's cousin all won stuff, although no one won a gun. My dad's cousin won this hideous giant wooden swan. He doesn't know what he's going ot do with it, but we had fun putting it on cars and pretending it was a giant hood ornament, roadkill, and other things.
We also camped at my parents instead of sleeping on the world's most uncomfortable couch bed. Our new tent held up to the thundershower and kept us safe and dry. We were supposed to get our camera back on Sunday, but Beatrice and I couldn't be at the same place at the same time. It's a shame, because I don't have a picture of the new tent yet, but I will perhaps get the camera back on Saturday, when I will be in her neck of the woods.
I got an estimate for how much it's going to cost to outfit the reception with chairs, canopies, tables and such - too much! I do think that mom said she would help me out with the cost. I want to look for places more local to my parents since I'm getting married at their house, but I need to get a local phone book first. Maybe I'll have a chance to do that this weekend, too.

In other news, I've been writing a little bit - venting about stressors, mostly, but there might be something in there to turn into a creative piece. I'm hoping. I don't want my time in the Maine Writing Project to have been a waste. Three weeks until reunion!

No comments: