Tuesday, November 24, 2009

IUD PITA!

A week ago, I had an appointment to have an IUD put in. I was a bit nervous about it, as the last time I tried to do this my body had an "acute rejection" of it - it was the most pain I've ever experienced in my life, and it wasn't something I was looking forward to trying again. This time, however, my doctors were going to give me lots of drugs and such to help my body accept it and alleviate my anxiety. I made Bear come with me to hold my hand, since I knew I was going to cry. He was a real trooper, going even though he didn't want to, even though it was way more info about my girly bits than he ever wanted to know.

As far as the procedure is concerned, I guess it was a success. I have not rejected this one like I did with the last one. I had no idea, however, that I would be in so much pain for so long. Everything I read about the procedure dealt with the long term side effects and what to expect over the next ten years. Nothing I read prepared me for the four days following insertion. I couldn't tell if I was dying or if the agony I was experiencing was "normal". Its taken me a week to feel well enough to stop taking pain meds. I am not someone who ever takes medicine. To take two ibuprofen means I'm in serious pain. I was taking three every four hours just to take the edge off.

In short, it sucked.

I am finally beginning to feel better; I am able to spend several hours at a time without any pain at all. I'm not sorry I had this done, but I wish I had known what I was getting myself into when I decided to do it. One other thing I didn't know about? I can't "resume normal activities" for THREE WEEKS. This, more than anything, would have made me think twice before getting an IUD.

Two more weeks to go. Le sigh.

3 comments:

Fox In Detox said...

Wow Heather...that sounds like a awful lot of trauma for birth control. I'm sure you've considered all of the non-invasive options, and there are reasons for going in this direction. I hope you feel better soon. That just plain sucks.

It's weird for me to hear what others are willing to go though to avoid something that I've always wanted, but never could have.

Alice said...

Well having a baby renders you out of the game for 6-8 weeks...so atleast you got the short end of the stick. :)

sorry it's been rough. I would call your doctor...I'm sure there is supposed to be some discomfort, but probably not agony. Of course, I realize I'm a week late on this, but I do hope everything has worked out well and you are on your way to recovery.

Hopefully you and Bear will have much to "celebrate"!! ;)

Unknown said...

Keep it up.I would state that you possess lots of understanding on this subject and you wrote outstanding.mirena recall