Monday, July 10, 2006

355 Days and Counting

355 days until Bear and I get married. Ten days shy of a year. It sounds like a long time, but I can almost guarantee it will fly by. I realized last week that if I'm going to get into shape for the wedding (who wants to look gross in their pictures?!), I had better get going! I weighed myself two days ago, and the scale said 190 pounds!!!!!! I was in SHOCK. How did I get so fat? When I met my last boyfriend I weighed 134 pounds. I want so much to be back to that. I'd settle for 150 if I had some muscle tone to go with it. But 190 is simply unacceptable. The bare minimum I'd be happy with is 154. That means I need to lose about 36 pounds.
Decision time. How am I going to lose 36 pounds? It works out to three pounds a month, or 10,500 calories (one pound of fat is about 3,500 calories). THAT works out to 350 calories a day. 350 calories is one pepsi and an oreo cookie. If all I had to do is give that up, it'd be easy!
Below is a list of resolutions. For the next several weeks, I am going to be checking in on how I'm doing. I hope to buy my own scale this week, and I have a tape measure too. Bear will measure me to insure impartiality.

Resolutions:
  1. No more soda! Water and 100% fruit juice are best. Crystal light is okay, and iced tea will work in a pinch.
  2. At least twenty minutes of cardio every day. Sex counts, as long as I'm on top. :)
  3. Fruit for breakfast whenever possible. Bananas are great, as is watermelon. I'm beginning to enjoy cherries, too.
  4. Stay away from dairy! I'm lactose intolerant, so this one shouldn't be too difficult. However, taking a lactaid makes it all too easy to eat Dairy Queen. Do they have frozen yogurt?
  5. Wait at least half an hour before eating dessert. Often if I do this, I end up not craving it.

How have I done so far?

In the last five days, I have played tennis (1), gone swimming (3) and biked (1), adding up to five days of physical activity IN A ROW. I've had a couple of sodas in that time, but I have cut back. I need to work on upping my water intake next. This morning for breakfast I had a banana and a cherry (then I broke down and had two crackers with sharp cheese). Still, it's something.

Bear has been great about motivating me, although I think he feels bad - he views it as nagging, when I view it as much needed encouragement. "I can resist anything but temptation," someone once said. Bear must be my willpower at least until I start to see results.

156 here I come!!

~Amalia~

No comments: