Monday, February 13, 2006

One Quick Vent

Valentine's Day. What's the big deal?!?

Maybe it's because I haven't been single on Feb. 14th since I was 13 years old, or maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of roses. Whatever the reason, I can't stand Valentine's Day! The cheezy Hallmark commercials (they are supposed to make you cry?!? Yeah right!), the ugly stuffed bears that were manufactured by children in third world countries... the endless pressure put on people to "show someone you care." Call me crazy, but it seems to me that telling someone to be romantic kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? It's kind of like when someone burps or farts, and you say, "excuse you" to remind him or her to say, "excuse me." When he or she finally say it, it doesn't really count, does it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting chocolate and flowers (Gebera daisies are lovely, and seeing some daffodils this time of year would really perk me up). Nothing says love like a pound of Hershey's Special Dark. My complaint is that I want the gift and the sentiment behind it to be genuine. Valientine's Day is artificial... something put on the calendar by companies looking to guilt men into spending money. Where's the love in that?

This Valentine's Day, I asked Bear not to get me anything. I hope he listens! I refuse to celebrate an artificial holiday. V-Day is Tuesday. He's welcome to get me a small token of his undying love and devotion on Wednesday, though.... :)

~Amalia~

No comments: