Thursday, May 10, 2007

Updates

I haven't written in a week. I'm sorry. I don't know what has come over me. Rather, I should say I could mention many things, but I don't know which thing in particular has caused me not to write.

The weather has been beautiful all week, so each night when I come home, I go outside. Laundry, gardening, raking, you name it - I've done it. I love the daily changes my garden makes. In this flower bed, my crocuses are coming fast and furious. At the back of the house, the tulips have almost blossomed. In my vegetable garden, the chives are sprouting and I think I've noticed one cucumber plant bud, too. In the flower garden, the poppies I spread a week ago are already showing their heads and I have two buds from my stargazer lilies. Excellent.

While at school, I have been monitoring the spring standardized tests that all English students must take. That requires that I walk around a room full of computers, watching students answer questions. This takes all of an 80 minute block. I do this two or three times a day. Ugh.

I finally finished The Onion Girl by Charles De Lint. It was good, even if it didn't end the way I expected. I was on the author's website yesterday and discovered that there is another book dealing with the same character - Widdershins. I'm looking for a copy in my local Border's this weekend.

Wedding stuff has been occupying my mind. I'm on the lookout for bridal party clothes, I still have to buy 14 vases, I have to steal a roll of butcher paper from school to cover the tables, my ring needs to go out for rhodium plating (it's looking rather yellow), I've been fighting with my mom about the cupcakes, I STILL haven't had my picture taken in my dress again. I started tanning this week, so at least that part is going well.

I got the news that I am being rehired for next year. In Maine, it takes two years before you are guaranteed your job - they can choose not to renew your contract for any (or no) reason. It is a nerve racking time. I am safe, for this year, anyway. I told Bear and that night he came home from work with a two liter bottle of Pepsi and a half gallon of my favorite ice cream. Another man might have bought flowers, but my Bear gave me what my heart truly desires. :)

~Amalia~

2 comments:

Shari said...

My kids love Pepsi and ice cream. They call it "Cow", I think. I tried it, but I think I wll stick with Root Beer floats or 7Up and ice cream.

Sounds like you are keeping busy.

I do not have a green thumb. My mom never did that stuff, but my Gramma did. I didn't learn from her. My husband does some gardening. No matter what I do, I just kill them. Too much sun. Too much water. It's enough that I take care of petunias out in front of the house.

Congratulations on getting another year at your school.

Jenny said...

Congrats on getting rehired!