Friday, May 15, 2009

Inservice Day

Today is a half-day teacher inservice day. I am supposed to be working on my curriculum development. However, since my curriculum is in pretty good shape, I'll be cleaning up the mess that I call my classroom. Normally I wouldn't care about the mess factor of my room until that last week of school, the week when the students refuse to do work and I'm too exhausted to make them, but this week has brought some changes that are causing me re-evaluate my previously apathetic stance.

I'm applying for a new job. Two, actually.

It's not that I'm resigning from this teaching job, because I'm not. But remember this post? I've come to realize that no one here (at least in the administration capacity) is going to bat for me if someone decides that she wants my job. For now it appears that I will be here next year, but I just can't trust that. There are two good teaching positions open in other districts and I have decided that it's a good idea to apply for them. Just in case the ground falls out from under me as it has done twice now already. So I'm going to apply for these two jobs and hope that I get an interview. If I get an interview, I might get an offer. If I get an offer, I can decide if the devil I know is better or worse than the devil I don't.

Here's a comparison of the teaching jobs:

Current Job
1/2 time teacher, 1/2 ed tech
pay decreases during vacation/summer
Sneaky superintendent of Doom
Drive my road each day
Stay in Brownville JCT
Bear close to adult office
Less money/year
Keep second job
Lots of teaching freedom
Tenure (for what it's worth)

New Job(s)
Full time teacher
Pay is same year-round
Superintendent of undetermined Doominess
Different commute (one of them would be longer)
Move this fall (to shorten commute)
Bear close to future Alma Mater
More money/year
Quit second job
Undetermined teaching freedom
Two more years until tenure

Feel free to weigh in on what you think I should do. I've got collect a few more materials before I can send off my applications, including getting a letter of recommendation from the senior English teacher here. The woman is intimidating like nobody's business and scares the crap out of me. I've been trying to screw up the courage to ask her all week. I have to do it today so I can get things mailed out next week some time. These two positions will get a lot of applicants, so I need to have my application in the pile before they start scheduling interviews.

Eek!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see the harm in applying. I found making a change turned out to be the best thing for me this year. You need a supportive administration, one who will do anything to fight to keep you. Know you are appreciated.
I personally HATE Curr. Development days. I find, organizing my office is a much better way to spend my time.
Have a great weekend.
XXXXXX

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Are you pulling my leg? His name is really SLOTH?? Seriously? I think I have to go GOOGLE that!! :)

Hallie

Fox In Detox said...

There is no growth without change. You can stay where you are, and things will remain exactly as they have been, or you can do something new that will shake things up a bit. It all depends on the level of happiness you feel in your current state.

If you're happy doing what you do, where you are...then there's nothing wrong with continuing. However, if you are not happy where you are, doing what you do...then you owe it to yourself to make a change, and to grow. It's up to you love. We're behind you either way.

Alice said...

You know what I've found out since entering the working world...it all works out in the end. I say apply for the jobs. If they offer, then you can consider, but you have a gift, Heather and you should work somewhere it will be recognized and rewarded. Not stuffed down b/c someone else wants it and you happen to be younger. And if it doesn't work out this time...then God is keeping you in this place for a reason, but I say go for it!

Carmen said...

It's good to cover all your bases. It's also nice to have options. Glad you are going for it.