Friday, May 01, 2009

101 in 1001

This morning I was reading blogs, which I do while I wait for my school day to begin, when I saw something in a sidebar caught my attention. I'd seen it before (it's been on this blog since I started reading it), but for some reason today it called out to me to be examined further. The blogger is a knitter/podcaster/artist/fantastico named Miss Violet and the something was a list called "101 in 1,001." I clicked on it and discovered that it was a list of 101 things Miss Violet hopes to accomplish in 1,001 days. Many of the things had already been completed and crossed off the list, some are partially done, and others have yet to be touched. You can see her list here.

Ms. V's list has some really important things on it. Things like writing her will. And spinning all of her fiber stash. And writing thank you notes instead of thank you emails.
About her list she says:
"... after 101 things, my life will be better, my health will be better, and my relationships should be better."
Who doesn't want all of those things? I certainly do. And I know there are things that I should be doing that I don't, because they aren't easy or because I forget or because I'd rather be plurking with my friends or reading a good book. So I'm thinking more and more about creating my own 101 in 1,001 list. I wonder, though, if I should do one for just me, or if Bear and I should create one together? There are things I want us to accomplish together (moving, writing our wills), and there are things I want to do on my own (run 5 miles, write my grandmother a letter, learn to play the violin). I don't know if we can create a list of 101 things that are for the both of us, but I don't want to list communal tasks as "mine," because I will feel responsible for them. And I can't be the only one responsible for moving or writing a will or fixing the ball bearing in the truck.

Of course I haven't discussed this with Bear yet. I don't even know if it is something he would want to do. The list is a public thing (at least, mine will be); seeing it every day is the only way I will get the items on it accomplished. I'm asking you, dear reader, to weigh in. Go to Miss Violet's website, and look at her list. Look at the home page for 101 in 1,001. Tell me what you think. Is a list that big even doable? What sorts of things should I put on it? Should I add "our" things to "my" things? Is this a bad idea in general? A good idea? Sometimes when I get an idea, I can't look at it from other angles. I just fixate on a single thought (right now that thought is "this looks like a great idea and I want to be a better person, a healthier person, a more complete person. This list might be my ticket there").

So? What about it?

5 comments:

Carmen said...

I think it has to be your things. However why don't the two of you make a list of 10 things to do in 100 days together?

Anonymous said...

I think I like this. I hesitate because I get mad at myself when I make a list and don't get to it. On the other hand, a list helps me stay focused and accountable. In the end, it is such a good feeling to put it ALL down there and being able to CROSS it off. I don't see how you can do this list, without involving Bear in some way. Your list is going to overlap with him and I think that is a good thing.

Now you have me seriously thinking about doing this myself. Thanks for the link and the thought, in some strange way, I'm getting excited about this.

XXXXX

Fox In Detox said...

I think 101 list is a good way to get things done. I also think it's completely do-able. Go for it...what have you got to lose?

I would put communal things on it, but label them as such.

Alice said...

I'm actually working on a list for myself...40 by 40--

40 things I hope to accomplish before I turn 40 (in 7 years...dear god!)....anyway I like this idea, too! I say go for it. Start your own list and see what happens. You could note "joint" projects or have a little sidebar of couple items if you don't want them on your orginal list...or you could list the parts of it you CAN accomplish (Like contacting a lawyer and getting correct forms for a will vs. writing a will)
I'll be interested to see what you come up with!

Fox In Detox said...

No flowers...I promise you. Not doing anything traditional. This is back yard all the way...albeit, a very nice back yard. The mutual friend (trouble maker) who purposely did not introduce us back in high school is now a minister, and he will be performing the ceremony. This is all very surreal to me, but yea..it's also very cool.

There is NO photographic evidence of the pink...thankfully. I half considered calling my mom a fibber.