Friday, January 13, 2006

So Where are We Now?

After Bear and I confessed our love for each other and became "official," we found ourselves motoring down the expressway of love. Things moved fast, and I mean fast. At one point when we had just started dating, I promised that if he and I were both unmarried eight years from now, I would marry him. His brother, after getting to know me, jokingly told Bear it should be eight weeks instead of eight years. I think Bear's brother will be closer in time to the actual event than we were.
You see, Bear (as I mentioned in a previous blog) is a one-woman man. He fell in love with me, and as he did so, he came to the conclusion that I am the woman he wants to be with for the rest of his life. No ifs, ands, or butts... and he is 100% sure of this. So naturally, once we were officially dating, it was a short drive to the destination of marriage. Translation: Bear said he'd like to marry me - sooner rather than later. When he first broached the subject, I had to ponder the irony of my situation. I had just ended a five year relationship where the guy wouldn't propose, and here Bear was proposing after only five weeks. Ironic, don't you agree? Anyway, at first I was a little freaked out, I have to admit. I started thinking, if he's so sure, shouldn't I be the one to look at the other angle? And, can I really have found the guy I will be with for the rest of my life only a MONTH after leaving my last boyfriend?? But Bear, in his perfect way, relieved me of my fears. He was unfailingly supportive and loving, even when he could tell I was drawing back. He really is one of the"good guys" that you always hear people wishing for.
As time flew by, I became more and more accustomed to the idea of us being together for the rest of our lives. Soon after that, I wasn't just accustomed to it... I was looking forward to it. The more I fell in love with my Bear, the less I could imagine a life without him in it. Yes, things have happened fast - no one knows that more than I do. But I really feel like we have a true partnership and that we have a great shot at making this work.
So when Bear asked me one night what I would say if he proposed, I answered truthfully - he'd have to ask to find out. ;)
Christmas day he did just that. He made me a slide show that had me crying in the first thirty seconds, and at the end, he slipped a braided silver band on my finger, and asked, "Will you marry me?"
What was a girl to do? I said yes, of course!
Bear explained that he couldn't afford the real diamond ring, and that the braided silver ring was a place holder. I don't think it could have been more perfect.

We went to Day's jewelers last weekend - more on that next time!

No comments: