Saturday, January 14, 2006

Hibernating

Bears hibernate in the winter. They sleep all winter long, living off of their fat reserves until the spring, when they emerge from their cozy dens thin, hungry, and ready to live life again. Problems can occur, however, if winter takes a break. If it warms up too soon, even for a brief time, bears can become confused, and emerge from hibernation early. They leave their dens to a scene not ready for them (surprise, it may be warm but it's still winter!).

That's what's happening right now. The last several days have been very warm. It almost got to fifty degrees yesterday! For January in Maine, that is very unusual. No one here knows what to do. Traditionally, it is April before we see weather like this. When April gets here, so does spring fever. People set out thier grills and sharpen their mower blades, put away the winter coats and enjoy the feel of warm sun on their faces. Only its January - too soon for those things! Today it rained and was fourty degrees... tomorrow its supposed to snow and be in the twenties. My body is confused! So is Bear's. We both have bad cases of spring fever and there's another THREE MONTHS of winter left! Is it too late to crawl back into the den? How do we wait out the crappy weather to come? Grrr.

I am in the process of making an improvement to the den, at least. I bought a queen size mattress, box spring, and frame today for the bargain value of $770. They are delivering it Monday. I can't wait. In a few months when I move my things into Bear's den it will come with me. It will be SO nice to sleep on a big mattress again!! I really miss it. I will take a picture and post it once I get it home and the sheets put on it.

No comments: